Friday, January 26, 2007

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag

I couldn't ask for a better birthday present than the Gene Siskel Film Center's Werner Herzog: Visionary at Large program in February. I was particularly thrilled to see that they'll be showing a new print of Cobra Verde--a lesser seen masterpiece. There is one glaring omission, however, and that is Stoszek. It's a shame, because Herzog always understood us Usonians so much better than his New German Cinema cohort (I'm pointing a finger at you, Wenders). Anyhow, I'm going to try and catch each film and maybe do a little recapping in this space.

Here's the video clip of Herzog being shot (with an air rifle) while being interviewed near his home in Los Angeles.

If I recall correctly, this happened within two or three weeks of his having pulled Joaquin Phoenix free of a car accident. If only he'd been at the Viper Room in 1993...

No comments: