Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Morricone's Heart of Darkness

Here's the theme to Brian DePalma's Casualties of War (1989). This is the second time Morricone and DePalma had worked together, their first being on The Untouchables a couple of years earlier. This composition definitely falls into later period Morricone; a cleaner, more traditional approach to film scoring. Thankfully, there's nothing so treacly or bombastic as the work being done by his contemporaries (and those favored byDePalma's cohort): James Horner and John Williams. Here, the music is lean, yet atmospheric, moving away from his earlier expressionistic style and toward impressionism. The mood is regretful, hesitant, and I'd even say a little pious--reflecting the themes and tone of the film and its very Lutheran protagonist.

3 comments:

jwroblewski said...

Antime I hear about bombastic scores, I immediately think of Randy Newman's score for The Natural. It made even John Williams blush, I'm sure.

Matthew le Flaneur said...

At least you don't have to listen to him singing around a hambone in The Natural.

jwroblewski said...

but I do have to listen to it about once a month - I work with a fan, a big fan